Student Software Approval Process
Due the the abundant software resources that are available for student learning, it has become necessary to create a software approval process. This process will include installed software as well as online resources that require a student account. Review of both online and installed software are necessary due to the support software (java, flash, etc.) that are necessary and the programs may require different versions of support software. This process is not intended to prevent teachers to explore and use new software to enhance the learning for their students. Teachers are encouraged to test and use any resources on their laptop in order evaluate programs and applications for use with students. This process is for the alignment of software use, maximize software purchases, prevention of software duplication, maximize the drive space available, and to prevent the adoption of more software than can be supported.
- Teacher/PLC evaluates software
- Teacher/PLC recommends software to principal
- Teacher submits online form requesting review of software for use
- Completed online form goes to technology department to check for compatibility
- If compatible then request goes to Media and Technology Advisory Committee (MTAC).
- MTAC reviews software
- MTAC responds with approval or denial.
- If approved the approval will also state the expected timeline for implementation.
Composition of MTAC:
- Chief Technology Officer
- Associate Superintendent for Curriculum
- Executive Director of Elementary
- Executive Director of Secondary
- Director of IMPACT
- Elementary School Principal
- MIddle School Principal
- High School Principal
- 2 - Instructional Technology Coordinators
- 2 - Technicians
- School Librarian Media Coordinator Elementary
- School Librarian Media Coordinator Secondary
- Elementary School Teacher
- Middle School Teacher
- High School Teacher
Simply go to the following link and follow the instructions to place your request: http://www.iss.k12.nc.us//site/Default.aspx?PageID=54828